Friday, April 13, 2007

Working at contentment.


Phillipians 4:10 "I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

I don't excel at being content. This is one thing I've learned about myself, and have been painfully reminded in recent days. Content is defined as 'a state of peaceful happiness' or 'satisfied with a certain level of achievement'. It seems I'm consistent though - I'm consistently trying to better things: my running time, squash game, parenting skills, preaching style, and anything else you can think of. I'm not alone. It seems the whole world is obsessed with better, bigger, whiter, nicer... it's a bit, well, tiring. So, I'm making a list of things that help us with being content:

1. gratitude.
2. prayer.
3. silence.
4. kindness.
5. no comparing (this is a content killer)
6. security (opposite of insecurity?)

some ideas. I'm working on it as we speak... wait a minute - I mean I'm being content with my efforts to work on it... well, you get it - there is work to be done.

5 comments:

Pete Brookshaw said...

Contentedness? Is that a word. This is something worth considering. I mean, am I content with where I am in life? Am I simply happy where God has placed me? Hope so! I think I am!


Just an aside...When are you and Stephen getting to Australia??

Jim Knaggs said...

I'm with Pete...and some days I live in 'holy discontent.'

armybarmy said...

Holy discontent is my usual strength. I think it can be under-rated in a culture of 'happiness' at all costs... it's the holy part that can be difficult... thanks for your thoughts guys... and Peter - we will be in Australia as soon as we get our visa's... pray with us for a speedy process.

Victory of the People said...

back in vancouver i DID have bugs and mice...

charmed life indeed.

armybarmy said...

HA. ;-)
bedbugs can be holy agent or the devil himself.