Saturday, June 6, 2009

Opinions


I'm a debater. I enjoy a rigorous exploration (often vocal) of different perspectives and views - argued and reasoned out. Now, I'm aware that those times can be chock full of potential areas of sin - contempt, arrogance, pride, self-focus, winning at the expense of someone else's well-being... I'm learning that not everyone appreciates or benefits from debate.

God is shaping me and that process is changing my opinions - not in conviction or in action-based response but in the early reactions. I'm learning (maybe it's age?) that my view is only one - that perhaps I haven't taken the time or met the person who can help me understand in order to learn more about certain issues. I'm rarely convinced that there is only one stagnant conclusion about any one issue. Quite the opposite actually - a variety of diverse and colourful actions accompany almost any difference of opinion. The thing is I think even in areas of passionate disagreement love can still be present. And that is the ultimate learning curve for an opinionated activist. Love is the language of God's kingdom and the greatest expression of Him on earth. I'm learning how to love even in the midst of difference. A life-long learning curve to be sure.

“A man is getting along on the road to wisdom when he begins to realize that his opinion is just an opinion.” -proverb
“I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.”
Thomas Jefferson quotes (American 3rd US President (1801-09). Author of the Declaration of Independence. 1762-1826)

1 comment:

Bernard Martin said...

Hi Danielle,

I'm sure you're right in your emphases in this post.

In your 2nd para, you state, 'The thing is I think even in areas of passionate disagreement love can still be present.' I see the importance of this stance confirmed in Romans 13 to 15 (particularly 13v8 and 14 to 15v7).

Although holding sound opinions is important, even vital, as we humbly recognise our human limitations, and show love towards those who differ with us, we grow in sanctification.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Bernard