Monday, August 31, 2009

Holy Spirit is a woman.


More evidence today that Holy Spirit is a woman - I was struck by the notion that being pregnant is not something that Jesus was able to experience... that thought was quickly replaced by the reality of Holy Spirit's experience in that department... the re-birthing of every Christian as well as the birth of the church and the groaning pains of all creation itself as they wait in 'labour' until the fullness of time. Wow. She really can relate the the experience of pregnancy and all this to say that over the centuries, mostly the early church saints referred to Holy Spirit as a she because of the clearly feminine characteristics in her role... a helper, convicter, mover and a shaker, nuturer, comforter, birther, teacher etc... not to mention the fact that the Trinity is 'complete' and the gender roles independant of each other are not.
Anyway, just struck me today as very obvious in the birthing department - and I can testify the labour of expectant hope and the groaning for the fullness of time. I wonder if she is also fat and tired?! ;-)

3 comments:

Simon Mapleback said...

Nice, I'm still pondering about this.. :P

Bernard Martin said...

Hi Danielle,

This is a somewhat delayed response to this particular article due to my being very busy over the past few weeks. I don’t know if you will actually read this but I felt I should respond anyway just in case.

First of all, thank you once again for all your hard work with your blog. I certainly find it of continuing interest and challenge, and I’m sure I will continue to do so.

However, I feel that by saying in this article that the ‘Holy Spirit is a woman’, you are going beyond what is written (1 Co 4v6). It seems to me that the Scriptures clearly teach that God in His being and Persons (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) is neither male nor female. However, the Scriptures also show that He has chosen to reveal Himself mainly (though not exclusively) via masculine terms. I have considered the various reasons for describing the Holy Spirit as a woman, but my conclusion is that there does not appear to me to be a substantial basis for it in the Scriptures.

I do believe you desire to follow after Truth, and so I am confident that the Lord will continue to lead you in the right paths (and if I’m wrong, I’m sure He’ll show me that also).

My the Lord continue to bless you, and thanks again for your witness.

Bernard

Sarah said...

You're right, the Holy Spirit is a female. And, not overweight, however, can get tired. :-)